Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Business Plan... (2001)

Better late than never I always say. This is one of those hindsight moments that I don't think I would change. Most conservative and intelligent business folks would draft a business plan as the very first step to a new business. Well I didn't. I saw a need for a service, and I filled it. I figured I would find a way to make money later. The interesting thing about starting an internet business is that anyone can do it... and you can do it with very low overhead.

My site was competing with others that had millions in investment capital. I would hear glamorous tales of how they were having extravagant go-live parties, gourmet tacos, the works. I was eating taco bell on my couch during my go-live. They were launching national TV commercials, billboard advertising, airport ads... you name it. I was signing up for Yahoo directory (it was free back then), and any other directory that would take me. I had no idea how to market my site. With no cash, my options seem limited.

I'll be the first to admit I did get a bit caught up in all the dot-com hype. I tried to draft a serious business plan. I tried to get funding. I looked into doing billboard advertising. I thought if I was going to compete I needed to do what the big boys were doing. Well fortunately none of that worked out for me. I say fortunately, because who knows what road my site would have taken if investors had bought a majority stake in the company. Those billboard/media ads could have spiraled me into bankruptcy. I believe everything happens for reason, and my failures early on would end up being a blessing in disguise...

Next up... The European Connection...

No comments: