Thursday, November 20, 2008

Simple Trick To Increase Your Pageviews & Revenues By 20%

A few weeks back I was reading a forum thread over at DigitalPoint about a webmaster who had added some handy navigation links to his pages that helped him browse through his content more easily.  He was talking about how he had initially added the new navigation links to help him keep up with monitoring the content more easily.  However after implementing his new links, he found the total pageviews he was getting on his site had jumped up.  Users were finding his new links helpful as well.


This simple idea of adding easy navigation to your site is one that had escaped me up until I read this guy's post.  It was so simple why hadn't I noticed it before?  My site is cleanly designed, I have a good search tool, and plenty of "related article" links after each story.  But those links require the user to actually keep scrolling down beyond the article, and then actually read the links to see if they are something of interest before clicking to the next page.

So it got me thinking, why not simply at a "Read Next Article >>" link to the end of each article?  With a little logic, I could even make it jump to the next related article.  

So now a user gets to the end of the article and does not have to scroll or think... They can simply click to see another article... click again to jump to the next.  Scrolling through my pages looking for something interesting to read.

Since I implemented this strategy, I've seen my pageviews jump by 20% across the board.  And as most of you know, pageviews relate to revenues.  I've seen a similar jump in revenues from both CPM ads and PPC ads.

If you have a content site, give it a try.  I'm guessing you will see similar results.

No comments: